Taking back wages -- HELP!

Daughter-in-law works for SuperAmerica. She was Assistant Manager. Didn't like hours so talked to boss and went back to Cashier. She had received a $1 raise as an Assistant Manager. She mentioned this extra $1 to her Assistant Manager and Store Manager. They told her not to worry about it. Well now, 5 months after she informed them, they have still been paying her the extra money PLUS she has still been doing most of the work for that position. They informed her today that they would be taking that money back all the way to March of this year.

Is there anything she can do?

I know that they can't drop her wages below the minimum wage when they do a deduction.

Can they do the deduction without her consent? She was still doing the majority of the work the extra money was for.

I've advised her to call the Department of Labor, but wanted to know if anyone could give some advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Calling the state DOL, if you have one, is probably the best advice. In the meantime, I recommend she pay a lawyer $75 to write a letter advising the employer they have no authority to do what they propose. Otherwise, her next check will reflect the deduction. Also, if I were her, I'd quit.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • I concur. Especially since she has continued to receive the wages for 5 months. Going forward, if they want to reduce, and employee accepts, fine. But to take it back from what has been paid, definitely not.