Unpaid days off for Exempt?

Apparantly my sales manager told our new hire (sales rep) that she could have 2 days off next week...unpaid. Our policy states that benefits don't kick in until the first of the month after 60 days of employment, including PTO.
This employee is classified as an exempt, outside sales person. Is it legal to dock her 2 days pay for this time off? She gets a draw every pay period and commission once a month.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well, under the new rules, a full day off for reasons of the ee not the er relieve er from paying. Have the ee request the time off in writing for personal reasons.
  • Agree. As long as it is as employee's request and for "personal reasons" and not illness (unless you have a policy), you should be fine. I just hope that the Sales Manager and she had an understanding that it was without pay. If not, you need to have a talk with the Sales Manager and make sure he checks with someone before going outside the policy next time in case it presents a problem (which this one shouldn't). (I say this because I have a Manager that I am forever "cleaning up" after. He is a very good person but continues to "tell people things/promise them stuff" and what he says itn't correct and we have to clean up his mess. Wish we could put a muzzle on him sometimes.)
    E Wart