Attendance No-Fault Points

We have recently implemented a No-Fault point system to make attendance a little bit more clear. In our efforts it has created a lot of questions. Our policy states when an employee is late they may use one hour of personal time or take 1 point. Example would be an employee works 8-5 is going to be 15 minutes late they will wait and punch in at 9:00am and use 1 hour of personal time or they can punch in at 8:15 and take 1 point. (we consider late clocking in 1 minute past the employees start time) When we have employees that want to go home early they have to use at least one hour of personal time. Here's the situation: An employee wanted to leave early and use personal time. The employee approached his supervisor at 5:33AM. His end of shift was 6:30am. His supervisor told him he could leave but would not be able to use personal time as he was going to be short of one hour by 3 minutes. The supervisor told him he could leave but would accrue a point. The employee was very mad, stating that he should be able to take personal time as he would still be paid the 1 hour. Help me if you can. Thanks:)

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My recommendation is that attendance policies and their application should not be mixed with procedures that will allow the violaters to escape the consequences of their behavior. Where I come from, people will gladly monkey around with the attendance policy if they know they can swap off an hour here and there of their accumulated leave time, rather than take the point hit.

The point of having clock times (in and out) is to ensure that employees are working and being productive. Giving them an assortment of ways to avoid that goal is providing an incentive to wreak havoc with attendance, thus productivity.
  • If it is the employee's decision whether or not to use the personal time than the supervisor really doesn't have any say. A "no fault" attendance policy means that an employee can leave work for any reason or no reason at all as long as they understand the consequences. If the supervisor has the right to approve or deny personal time and the supervisor said "no" and the employee left anyway, the employee should get the point.

The whole attitude of "you should just give me what I want since I'm not going to be here anyway" is one we see in our plant quite a bit and the way we address it is by informing the EE that we have work for them and if they choose not to work, they have to deal with the consequences.
  • We are a manufacturing company with 200 employees and a point-based attendance policy. I too agreed with the above posters.