Docking Exempt Level Employees

How many of you actually "dock" exempt level employees' wages?

I know you have the ability to do this if you have a paid time off plan and the EE has used all their paid time off and are absent for a full day due to personal illness or personal business but I am curious to know how many actually do this.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We do it if the exempt employee has no remaining paid time available. Of course, we don't do it if an employee comes to work, works part of the day and then leaves. In this instance they get paid for the whole day.
  • We do it in the situations Mushroom describes, and do it consistently. If you don't, you can find yourself in some deep stuff.
  • OK, 'shroom and marc, do you deduct from their PTO bank (or vacation/etc.) if they don't work a "full" day?

Ex - Joe Twelve Pack is an exempt employee. (He supervises several Joe Six Packs) He wants to take the afternoon off for the annual Husker Red vs White football scrimmage so he can boo Callahan and the West Coast Offense.

He should be paid for the whole day, but should a half day come out of his vacation bank?

Oh, and by the way, Joe Twelve Pack usually works a 10-hour day. So if he's worked 6 AM to noon, he's already put in six hours. So is it two hours of vacation to equal eight, or four hours to equal his regular day?
  • No, we don't deduct for partial days, but we could.
  • If the employee leaves for a half day or more we deduct from their PTO. If they take less than a half day we don't deduct--we just pay them for the few hours. If they're out of PTO we still pay them for the entire day. Fortunately we've not had any abuse of our practice. Our exempt employees put in quite a bit of overtime so it's kind of our way of saying "thanks" by letting them take off a few hours here and there without deducting from their PTO.
  • MUSHROOM: Overtime????for an EXEMPT, what is that? I am a 24 hour 7 day a week employee go figure, any overtime!!!! You can squeeze blood out of a turnip. My new FLSA booklet does not identify overtime for an exempt nor how to figure it! It also did not give me a compensatory time defination for the private employer, they were trying to but had to back the provision out of the manual.

PORK