Funny Schedule Exempt Vacation

I have an exempt employee who works kind of an odd schedule - typically 10 to 12 hour days M-R and until noon on F, then sometimes half days on Saturday.

So, when he wants to take a Friday off, do I charge him with no vacation, four hours, or eight? If it were a M-R day, I'd charge him eight. Since he usually works 4 on Friday, do I just charge his vacation for 4?

Don't mean to make this over complicated . . . it just threw me for a loop today. (:|

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • HRCALICO: Your confusion is just the point that I have tried to make for three years now. Let his/her manager worry about those things, you have become "Time Clock Policeperson"; HR and payroll have got a great deal more to worry about than trying to do ever manager/Department Heads jobs. The comings and goings of all EXEMPT employees is a management issue and not a payroll person's issue. Let the EXEMPT employees check roll off the computer or printer as a whole paid week of work.

Now, you can not deduct from his/her pay ($) the 4, or 6, or 8 hours as an adjustment. You may deduct hours from a PTO bank if you have one of those instruments at your hands, but you can not deduct money unless it is as a result of discipline action.

PORK
  • Pork,
    I know this issue gets you going more than any other, x:D but the only thing she wants to know is how many hours to charge for the vacation day from their vacation bank.

I would charge the 4 hours toward vacation. This is just an internal recordkeeping, it in no way affects how much salary he is paid.
  • OK, I am a "dummy" on this one. My concern is then, when I the employee works 4, 6, or 8 hours over the typical 40 does someone jump to add 4, 6, 8 hours to my bank! If so I am fine with the issue. If not then we are playing the game one sided. The company hired me to do the job and as an EXEMPT employee the government gives me 168 hours a week to do the job for which I am being paid an agreed to amount. Now the company adds a tweak to the agreement and decides to mess around with the vacation days awarded in the form of hours and with $ value. Be fair now, if you take it from me because I choose to use a strange hour within the 168 hours available should the person taking it also give it back, when I don't use an allocated hour for the time to complete my work?

PORK
  • 4 ... Otherwise you'd be punishing him for working so hard earlier in the week.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • We have exempt and non-exempt capture their regular schedule in an "alternative work schedule agreement." Then payroll knows when they work only 4 hours on Friday how to deduct from a leave bank. If the non-exempt employee works less than the regular schedule they are required to use leave. An exempt employee is required to use leave only when absent in excess of 4 hours in a day.

This works well for us in public employment.
  • Our standard is that if an employee has already worked 40 hours (10 hours M-R) then we pay the regular salary. If the employee is absent any hours (for example, if he worked 38 hours M-R) then we would pay the additional 2 hours from his leave bank. I know it may not seem 100% correct to some but we feel this is the most fair way to deal with people working odd schedules. I can't imagine DOL having a problem with us being more fair to our employees, as long as we are consistent in that handling. They don't care HOW we pay them 40 hours, just that we pay them.
  • I'm the dumbest one of all! What day of the week starts with 'R'?
  • It's code for Thursday, since T was already taken with Tuesday.

Incidentally, the poor guy had to show up today, so this whole issue is out the window. Good to know for next time! :>)
  • What happened to just using Th for Thursday? 8-}
  • Hey Don - U stands for August since A was used in April!!!!! Nope. Can't do that cause U will have to be used for June since J was used for January so I suppose that July will be L and August will have to be G. And don't forget that Y will be used for May since M is gone for March and A is gone with April so here it is:

J,F,M,A,Y,U,L,G,S,O,N,D
  • Thanks for clearing all that up Popeye.:oo
  • He 'yam what he yam' and 'that's all what he yam'.
  • I am totally confused. From what you said it sounds as if this employee is "scheduled" to work somewhere between 44-56 hours a week. Since I don't know how his vacation "earned/accurred". If he gets 1.4 x as much vacation as the "normal person", then I would worry about "docking him" some pay. However, if he gets as much as any 40 hour employee and he has already worked 40 hours that week.... forget it. Give the guy a break. Sounds as if you are lucky to have him. (are you sure he's exempt?)
    Otherwise, I would say charge him the amount of time he was scheduled for that day (if he earns time off at a higher rate than others.)
    E Wart