Wages for Company travel

Our employees are often required to travel to trade shows or races on the weekends. Sometimes they will fly out after work on Friday (after having worked a 40 hour week) and return on Sunday night. I know this time is paid at time and one half. Do we pay them time and one half for their actual travel time as well? Once they reach the city they need to be in, do we pay them for travelling from the hotel to the show or race? Please explain how best to handle these situations without penalizing the employee or costing the employer a fortune.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-31-04 AT 10:26AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Hunting Dog: First welcome to the forum! May I suggest that you need to do a GOOGLE search under DOL and SECTION 785.33 TRAVEL TIME. From the reading you will see it can be complicated. However, a basic provisions of the procedures allows for one to pay for travel hours if one is required to work while traveling. The starting and finishing hours of a normal working day also come in to play. (driver, navigator, mechanical assistant, filling with fuel, or changing a flat tire are also indicators of earning income while traveling). Section 785.33 to 785.41 all cover the procedures you will need to understand and follow to prevent non-compliance of your actions.

There was a recent good discussion on this subject, but I scrolled down but could not find it to refer you to it.

Hope this helps!

PORK

HR & Employment Law is where the company travel thread is located. Read that entire thread and you will probably find specific information to your concerns. However, I still recommend the Google search and the printing off of the words found there for your on personal satisfaction knowing what is right!

PORK
  • Thank you Pork for your guidance. I will do just as you suggested with the Google search.