Employees reimburse for shortages

Nevada allows employers to "ask" an employee to make restitution in the event that his cash drawer comes up short. The only stipulations are that 1) minimum wage is not violated; and 2) the employer obtains the employee's signature to authorize repayment via payroll deduction.

Our Company does not prescribe to this particular system, but we have a new manager who is putting up a big struggle. We are holding out, at this point, on the basis that it requires each employee's bank to be accessible ONLY to that one employee. Believe it or not, he does not grasp the potential problem with holding one person responsible for a bank in which multiple hands gain admittance during the course of the shift. He also would prefer not to bother with payroll deduction to balance the drawer: The bank is short CASH, after all, so the employee needs to put CASH back in!

I'm sure we can prevail against the out-of-pocket practice, but does anyone have any other ideas for fending off the whole practice?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Check the Cash Drawers out to the manager and make him responsible. Maybe then he will see that so many fingers in the till make it difficult to trace the shortage to an individual who was arbitrarily assigned as responsible. I personally would not allow myself to be on the hook unless I completely controlled access, like a bank teller does.