New PT and/or Job-Share Positions

Due to budget constraints we are changing some of our FT positions to PT or job-share positons for new hires. We are also creating a lot of new PT postions. I am currently in a debate with department heads concerning starting pay. We have lower rates established for PT with very limited benefits. We pay at the FT rate for a job-share. We consider it a job-share if two workers split the FT job and make sure the shift is always covered and communicate with each other so all work flows smoothly. This is not required for PT. PT and job-share receive the same limited benefits. Department heads are wanting to start PT at the same rate as FT. I don't think this is a good idea for several reason, but would like to see some increased benefits for job-share. I am interested in other practices and/or opinions on this matter.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would first start with pricing the job using whatever process your company uses (e.g. point-factor job evaluation or market pricing) and let that drive the starting salary. For example, if you have a position titled: Computer technician and this position is available for part-time employees and for part-time employees who job share, then you should evaluate the job and come up with appropriate grade and salary range for the position. I'm not sure why you think it matters whether a person is a part-timer who is sharing this job vs whether someone is working part time and not sharing the job?
  • We started using part-time people/positions a few years ago. 99% of our Associates (employees) are exempt. When we decided to offer part-time openings, we made a conscious decision to give the part-time people the same benefits as our full-time people, just at a prorated amount. The only benefit that could be knocked out is their health insurance, if they work less than 32 hours a work week. This is based on a minimum of 4 days.

Everything else is prorated as a percentage of the full-time amount. They are also exempt and are paid according to their schedule. If they are working 5 half days (50%), we pay 50% of the full-time pay for that position. They still receive contributions to their 401K using their salary and they get their vacation and sick time based on their work week.

I hope this gives you some ideas that might help.