Exempt status for Parks & Rec position

I've familiar with the exempt categories such as Administrative, Executive and Sales. I understand the Professional category the least and I think that is where my question falls.

The Director of Parks and Recreation wants to hire a Recreation Coordinator. The Coordinator will report to the Recreation Supervisor (who I see as barely exempt himself). No degree required, no regular supervision of other employees although direction may be given to 10-15 seasonal/part-time employees from May through August. The only other employee in the dept is a part-time office person.

The Dir says that 99% of Recreation positions are exempt but doesn't know how or why. Can someone help me understand?

DB

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I assume you are a muni. I also don't know enough about the job to really give clear opinion. But I think your super is thinking of the 'seasonal' amusement and recreational exempt. which I doubt applies to you since a requirement is 'must be employed by a seasonal recreational or amusement estaablishment.' I believe the exempt also does not cover office personnel in a rec office. The provision is at 213(a)(3) of the act. Whether your person might qualify as admin, needs more information.