filing W-4's

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-01-03 AT 12:30PM (CST)[/font][p]Our W-4's have been maintained in binders separate from the personnel file. We have so many other separate binders that are necessary that the file almost seems like it is becoming obsolete! ;)

Is there any reason to maintain the W-4's outside of the personnel file? I don't know of any, but know I am not a payroll regulation pro.

Tks, Barbara

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • None that I'm aware of. Can't think of why it may have been started in the first place.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-02-03 AT 06:23AM (CST)[/font][p]We keep 5 files: personnel, payroll, medical, confidential, I-9. We have always kept the W-4 as part of the payroll file since payroll is the only department that needs this information. There might be some redundancy in personnel and payroll, however, the personnel file is accessible to supervisors and we feel that supervisors have no reason to know what an employee might claim for exemptions, deduct for 401(k), choose for insurance etc.

By the way, the personnel and payroll files are kept in one drawer, the medical and confidential in a separate filing cabinet (upon suggestions from seminars that said that if you kept these next to each other, government agencies can consider them just parts of the same file). The I-9 is separated into current employees and former employees.