Definition??

Can someone tell me the definition of a Paid Day Laborer and what type of worker would fall into this catagory? Thanks :-?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know if there is a specific "legal definitionL, but generally day labor is work that is done for a coupple of hours or a day (the work iinvolves usually a specific task or project) and the rate of pay is "determined" just for that day, between the laborer and the individual offering the work. The work is usually heavily manual in nature -- cleaning, painting, hauling, moving, etc. Beyond that, day laborers usually are immigrants and payment for the work is done in actual cash. There is no on going work relation between the individual and the perosn offering work except for that one day (or less). Usually, day laborers congregate at a paticular area (e.g., on a street corner) where indidivuals offering work will meet them.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-15-03 AT 02:13PM (CST)[/font][p]HATCHETMAN: It reads like you are in support of the abuse of day labor and payment in cash. The term is "CONTRACT LABOR", YOU DO AGREE ON AN AMOUNT OF WORK FOR AN AMOUNT OF PAY, YOU ALSO MUST ESTABLISH AN ACCOUNT ON WHICH YOU WILL ISSUE A 1099!!! TO PAY IN CASH MEANS YOU ARE SUPPORTING THE UNDERGROUND LABOR MARKET ON WHICH TAXES ARE NOT COLLECTED AND NOT EVER PAID. Did I read wrong or is it just to hot in sunny CA these days?

PORK

or maybe you just didn't eat enough pork over the week-end!!!
  • (1) DAY LABORER- The term `day laborer' means an individual who contracts for employment with a day labor service agency.

(2) DAY LABOR- The term `day labor' means labor or employment that is occasional or irregular for which an individual is employed for not longer than the time period required to complete the assignment for which the individual was hired and in which wage payments are made directly or indirectly by the day labor service agency or the third party employer for work undertaken by a day laborer pursuant to a contract between the day labor service agency with the third party employer. Day labor does not include labor or employment of a professional or clerical nature.

(3) DAY LABOR SERVICE AGENCY- The term `day labor service agency' means any person or entity engaged in the business of employing day laborers to provide services to or for any third party employer pursuant to a contract with the day labor service agency and the third party employer.

• Thank you both...I needed an immediate answer and that is what I got...Thanks a Million! xclap