Not keeping records

In speaking with my Manufacturing Director regarding information needed for an upcoming arbitration, I was informed that payroll records are only being kpet for one quarter. These are the records that show the time in/time out for each employee. My understanding is that these records must be kept for 3 years. Is this correct?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • According to the Fair Labor Standard Act, basic payroll information must be kept for three years after the date the record is made. We keep our time sheets for all our employees for at least that period of time. In the case of any arbitration, you will have a day to day record of hours worked by a particular employee.

• Payroll or other records containing each employee's name, address, dob, rate of pay and compensation earned per week, kept safe and accessible at the place of employment, application or at a central record-keeping office. Must be available for inspection by EEOC during normal business hours, or if in storage, within 72 hours of request for information or inspection. Term: 3 years. 29 CFR ss 1627.3.

This points out one of the dangers inherent in a system that allows somebody in production or manufacturing to be the office of record for things of this nature.