Can't work - no fault of his own

We have two people working our graveyard shift (plant environment). There must be two people in order to keep the plant running. One employee calls in sick - we try to find a replacement, but can't - We have to shut down for the night.
The employee that WAS able to work - should we pay him his full shift, 4 hours, or nothing? (of course, also allow him to take PTO if he wants.) What do you feel would be the FAIR thing to do? (He is adamant that we should pay him his full shift.) :-)

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Check your state statutes before you act. Some states mandate pay for "show time," e.g., an employee who shows up ready to work and there is no work must be paid four hours. Oregon used to have such a law, and I think there are a few states left that also do. To my mind, compensating half a shift and letting him take PTO for half a shift sounds like a fair deal. Just my opinion. Good luck.
  • I agree with the Beagle, but, isn't there something you could find for him to do for the 4 hours, even if the plant has to be shut down. Some maintenance work, clean up, etc? I always hate to pay employees for doing nothing, and if you make this deal too lucrative, it might be tempting to some employees.
  • I agree with having some sort of policy for payment for "show time" and your state regulations may address this as well. I do, however, feel it is unfair to the employee that he is able, and willing, to work but is forced to use PTO time just because somebody else doesn't show up for work. Isn't there someway you can have 3 people, or provide something to this employee on another shift? One other thing I want to mention is that this employee MAY be eligible for unemployment compensation for these missed hours. The employee was available for work but you didn't have work for him so, at least in WI, this employee would be eligible for UC.