Time off between shifts

What, if any, are the regulations regarding time off between shifts for exempt employees?

Here's an example: employee's schedule requires a 10 or 12 hour day. Employee completes the schedule but has to return a couple of hours later for a meeting that last 1-2 hours. Employee is released again to go home and has to return several hours later for her regularly scheduled shift. The employee is classified as exempt so there is no overtime pay involved.

Any assistance would be helpful.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If this person is truly exempt, then no. There may be a reason why this exempt person is working a "shift", then is "released" but those words sound like non-exempt, in which case there may be wage and hour regulations that apply.
  • It reads to me as if you need to revisit your EXEMPT classifications. If truly EXEMPT, there is no regulation that dictates the amount of time between meetings, training, shifts, etc to be worked. We EXEMPTS work at the call and will of the company, time is not recorded and considered as having to do with anything related to $$$$$. O/T and limitations on hours required to work is purely a matter of how well I like this job and this company and how long can I or will I put up with all these hours of work, before I find another place to work which better aligns my needs and their need for my time and talents!!! The amount of time I am willing to give identifys a characteristic in me that the General Manager recognizes and helps him to make the decision of "HOW BIG TO MAKE MY BONUS OR HOW MANY DAYS AND WEEKS OF TIME OFF FROM THE JOB TO GRANTME, OR HOW NICE A DINNER PARTY WILL HE INVITE MY WIFE AND ME TO ENJOY". Hope this helps your concerns. PORK