uniform deductions and minimum wage earners

In California, an ER cannot deduct a uniform deposit from EEs earning minimum wage because the reduction of the paycheck (due to the deposit deduction) results in their earning less than minimum wage. I have heard that this issue also applies to overtime earnings, meaning uniform deductions cannot be taken from ot earnings...can anyone clarify? Thanks!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-31-02 AT 04:04PM (CST)[/font][p]You don't say whether this is a terminating employee or a current one, but I think that you are out of luck on all counts. If an employer requires that a uniform is worn as a condition of employment, it is to be provided and maintained by the employer (IWC Section 9) If it is an employee who is terminating, deductions cannot be made to recover the cost of uniforms. This would be viewd as a debt and it cannot be deducted even with employee consent.

• Gillian, just wondering; would this rule in California apply also to weapons for law enforcement officers? Some municipalities in some states require that officers furnish their own. That never made sense to me from the get-go, but some do it.
  • I don't have a clue. Law enforcement officers are not covered by our wage orders.