Holiday pay for salaried employees

Help, need guidelines ASAP! What is the rule of thumb for holiday pay for salaried employees who work on a holiday. Are they entitled to an extra day's pay or just their salary ??? Need answer quickly please --thanks

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • All of our staff, salaried and hourly receive straight time pay plus holiday pay if required to work on a paid scheduled holiday. Since our building must be opened by a senior manager and a senior manager must be present during this time, and no senior manager has been willing to come in on a paid holiday, I have not had to pay out holiday pay.
  • There's probably not a 'rule of thumb' on this. Places where I've worked just grant 'another paid day off' if an exempt had to work the holiday. The 'other day' must be agreeable to the supervisor. We've also 'rotated' who has to work among the exempt group. Sometimes we find that the senior exempt will try to muscle his way to the front of the line and claim that he's senior and the newer guys should work the holiday. I recommend that the FIRST time it occcurs that the senior person have preference. After that he or she gets in the rotation with everybody else.
  • We give salaried individuals another day off if they have to work a hoiday. We use a skeleton crew for holidays and ask for volunteers. We usually don't have problems getting volunteers as some people find holiday time depressing, especially if they don't have family.