Subcontracted Janitorial Service

Is there any regulation that requires a subcontractor to provide their own liability and workmen's compensation insurances? We currently use outside help for our janitorial service and they have not provided us w/certificates of insurance. I've have addressed this issue with my manager but he doesn't see the necessity and I can't seem to convince him. If I can show him in writing maybe then he will agree it is necessary for them to provide them.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our janitorial service gives us proof of insurance coverage. Also, on the other side of the coin - when we bid on production jobs, we provide our own proof
    of coverage just to bid. Many companies don't do business with subcontractors who don't provide proof. It is a common business practice, a two-way street. Having insurance is cheaper than getting sued.
  • Tell your manager to ask the company's insurance broker what would happen if/when someone connected to the subcontractor got hurt on your premises or caused another to be injured. That ought to raise his eyebrows!

• This is a very state law specific question. You really need to talk to attorney's in your state to determine who is responsible for worker's comp. and how the janitorial service having or not having comp will effect your liability.

After that, depending ont he law, I would suggest you instist that the service gets worker's comp and if they don't, replace them.

Good Luck!