salary grades

How does one figure out how much a position gets paid? We have a manager who is underpaid. He runs a department of 13 employees. They work on CAD designing our products. I have been to many internet sites and can't find a comparable position. Our human resource department is going through changes and is behind. They do not have an updated job description for his position. They told me it would be months before they could even look at his job and update it. If anyone can help me i would appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Perhaps there is a trade association that might have salary survey information. Another possible source - although a biased one - is calling a professional recruiter who handles that field. Weigh any information from a recruiter carefully - no offense to recruiters intended. Another option is pulling together a list of contacts at other companies that would have CAD departments large enough to have a manager. Once you pull together the list, try to convince your HR department that a quick salary survey wouldn't be all that difficult. Keep in mind of course that any information pulled together in a hasty manner won't be terribly accurate. Ask if you there is anything you can do to help your HR department speed up the process - like putting together a list of responsibilities for the CAD manager.
  • I find the best way to determine salary is to contact companies in the area that might have a comparable position. We happen to be located in the "Silican Forest" and I have worked in the area for years, so I get on the phone and call people I know, mostly HR managers, for assistance. Sometimes, I send an email requesting help.....to HR managers again of companies in the area. It's amazing who knows who. There is a site called Salary.com and Salary Wizard that you might try, if you haven't. If they don't have the position, you can request it, but it does take time for results. The American Electronics Association does surveys every year. Some one you contact, or HR contacts, may have the survey. I would also volunteer to help HR write the updated Job Description, if you could and that may help them. Good luck!