Hiring Interns

Does anyone hire Interns to work for a specified period of time? If they are receiving class creidts are you pay them minimum wage also? Please tell me how you are dealing with these individuals regarding wages.

Thank you,

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have been hiring student interns for several years. Some are in cooperative education programs or otherwise receiving class credit. Others just need the work to meet expenses. We pay slightly above minimum wage. In the Washington, DC are you have to pay above minimum to get a college student.

This term I have a high school senior from a coop ed program who is working out very well. I have a college student who has been with us for over a year, so he's earing $10.50 an hour. A third intern, another college student, has very poor attendance. We only pay by the hour, so the ones who come and do the work get paid, the others don't. If they are getting class credit they must come and I have to fill out forms required by the college or high school.

They work primarily on a research project that involves over 3000 telephone calls, some work organizing data into tables, file research, contacting state agencies for information. The down side is I have to traing and re-train interns every 4 - 6 months rather than have an employee who learns and progresses. The up side, is if the intern doesn't show up, he or she isn't paid. They don't get bored with the repetitive work. They learn something and are nice to have around. Mary Bird, National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts & Scieces, Inc.