Non-exempt salaried emp uses 1/2 day sick

Can a non-exempt, salaried employee use half-days at a time from their sick time pool? Can their pay be reduced if they have used all their sick time?

Can exempt employees use half-days at a time? Can their pay be reduced if they have used all sick time?

Thanks!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't have any non-exempt, salaried people so I'm not really familiar with how that works. I would think, however, if they are eligible for overtime that it would be OK to use partial sick days and dock when they run out just like you would for a regular non-exempt.

As far as the exempt go, we do allow ours to use partial days of sick, but be careful about any docking once they run out. You certainly cannot dock for partial days after they run out of sick. It hasn't really come up at our plant, but we would probably let them ride if it is only a day or so here and there. More than that you might be getting into FMLA issues.
  • Non-exempt employees are typically paid by the hour so you can "dock" them for taking 1/2 a day of sick leave. If your company has paid sick days you can pay them 4 regular & 4 sick for the day they miss (as an example). If the employee runs out of sick time, they do not get compensated for the hours they are not at work.

Exempt employees are paid for the job, not the number of hours worked so it is more difficult to "dock" their pay. At my company we pay exempt employees regardless of whether they are at work or not. There is a paid sick leave bank they accrue, but if their hours run out we don't dock them unless they are out more than a week at a time.