Original Personnel file

I'm doing some research and would like your opinions. When you have a home office and a branch office situation who normally keeps the original personnel files, benefit info., WComp, billing information? I think the home office should keep the originals and the branch have copies of only info. they need but my boss (non-HR) person is leaning the other way.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Lorie,

I agree with you. I believe the home office ought to keep it. First, so that an HR person (who understands the regulations) has charge of the originals of all documents and can ensure that they are kept separated properly and under proper security. Second, so that the HR person is looking at the types of things going into those files and can stop a manager from writing things they shouldn't into corporate documents. Third, so that when a subpoena arrives for the documents, the corporate office has all documents to sent. If the subpoena arrives at the field office, it should be forwarded on to corporate to handle. And last but not least, when a governmental agency wants to review files, this is done at the corporate office and the field office can refer them on to you to handle. These last three reasons should really appeal to the field office. Tell them this gets the legal monkey off their back and they don't have to fool with it. You'll handle it for them.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]