Attaching wages

Where would I find information on when i am permitted to attach wages? Meaning, what external power has the authority to require me to attach wages of an employee on their behalf? And under what circumstances?

I am told i am about to get a letter from a lawyer instructing us to attach the wages of an employee, and of course I'll contact our lawyer, but I'm trying to familiarize myself first.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You probably need contact your state's "labor department" or search your state laws as garnishing earnings generally falls under state laws. I don't think a simple letter from an attorney would do it. It proably needs to be an order from an appropriate court. You should notify the employee before implementing it. If the attachment is for child support, federal law as well as state law may come into play.
  • the law that may apply is in your family code or laws...most states---by federal edict---require garnishment of wages for child or spousal support...give a call to the editors of the mass employment law letter---go to find an attorney on the hrhero website and click on your state...every employer needs a good employment lawyer...good luck,mike maslanka