Double Time

I'm assiting the HR department and would like to know the rules/regulations about Double time. We have recently removed our Time clock that would automatically calculate Over time and Double time. Now that the time clock is gone, I have no clue as to when Over time hours become Double time hours.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The only folks I know who deal with double time are involved with unions and have set policies. I'm curious why they did away with the timeclock that handled this for you??? The problems will only get worse as employees line up outside your door if they do not understand or agree with manual calculations. I'd be lobbying for a new time keeping system!!!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-09-01 AT 09:58AM (CST)[/font][p]In California, regulations provide that if a non-exmept employee works more than 12 hours in a day or more than 8 hours on the seventh consecutive day of work, then double time is paid. Go to the California Department of Industrial Relations website, [url]www.dir.ca.gov[/url], and click on the "Wage Orders 1-17" line on the home page. Then click on Wage Order No. 4 (or to the Wage Order that's applicable to your industry) and scroll down to Section 3 (or the appropriate section in the Wage Order for your industry).
  • If you are not in California, you will need to check your state's law.

Under the federal law, the general rule is that hourly (non-exempt) employees are entitled to 1 1/2 time for hours worked over 40 in a workweek, but some states have additional requirements.

Good Luck!!