How do you get employees to remember to punch the time clock?

We've had a time clock for the past year and some employees still can't remember to punch in and out. We have reminders at strategic locations and it just isn't working. We have to manually amend the time each week. Can we have a policy that states something to the effect that the time noted on the clock is the time we will pay, adjusting for missed "punch out" only. If an employee forgets to punch out for lunch, we will deduct 1 hour (or their scheduled lunch) from their pay and if they forget to punch out when they leave at the end of the day, we will adjust to their scheduled hour of departure as verified by their supervisor. It will be left unsaid that if they forget to punch in, they can go punch in when they think of it and they will be paid from that time. For all I know, some employees may be "forgetting" to punch in because they're running late, and the manual alteration is documenting they are on time. HELP!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • After MANY years with a timeclock, we still share your problems and concerns. It'll be great to hear possible solutions that work without crossing FLSA regulations.

Our clock calculates time per day and total time per week, so MOST of our people catch problems early and have adjustments made and initialed. In some cases those adjustments seem just a little too convenient.

With those who don't even notice a problem, I find they rarely remember what they did yesterday, much less two weeks ago. That's why I started going by scheduled times and lunches. If they have a problem with their paycheck and can justify an error, adjustments are made the following pay period.

Luckily, the supervisor over a large percentage of our employees is really good about watching timecards and spotting potential problem areas.

• Emphasize the dignity of the time record that it represents a demand on the company for payment as well as a working and a historical document for the organization. Auditors go back 3 years and examine them. It speaks ill of management to have a seriously flawed set of records. Saying that, Non-Exempt employees (won't work with Exempt) should be given a general notice that the company is paying as punched. Time in as recorded, time out as either an invalid pay demand - no pay for that period, or an automatic clock out. This runs an overtime problem if they actually worked late. Anyhow, pay errors will be corrected at the next pay day after consultation with management. That administrative and financial burden keeps you legal and serves as an incentive.

• We use the same diciplinary actions as with any other situation. If an employee "forgets" to time in, the first time they are given a verbal warning, the second time an employee has a missed punch, they get a written warning, the third time is suspension, and then termination. We have never gotten past a written warning. Maybe that will help them remember to punch in and out correctly.
  • We also use progressive discipline when employees miss punches. In addition, we have the employee sign an acknowledgement when they are hired that includes our clocking policy and the disciplinary actions that will be taken after unexcused missed punches. These may include forgetting their time card or forgetting to clock in or out for their shift or lunch. Employees usually get the message after they are presented with their write-ups.

• Don't forget that missed punches are NOT just a sign of forgetfulness. They're also a primary means to cheat on time worked.

• I too, have this problem frequently. I agree with the progressive discipline policy, if only I could get my Supervisors to follow through with the discipline! With the supervisors that do cooperate, I have very few problems within that department.
  • I agree with the others that this is a disciplinary problem and you should treat it as such. They're not doing their job and following the rules. If supervisors aren't doing their jobs and enforcing the rules, then their bosses need to treat it as a performance problem. Obviously, this is easier said than done. Maybe you could calculate how much money you pay to employees for time when you can't verify whether they were working. That'll get managers' attention.

Whatever you do, be very careful reducing employees' pay or hours. The Fair Labor Standards Act still requires you to pay them for hours worked.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers