EXEMPT STAFF AND HOLIDAY PAY

Our company has a qualifed sick pay policy and paid holidays after 60 days of employment. We have a number of newly hired exempt staff who have less than 60 days of service, but will have the holiday off (July 4th) along with other personnel. It has been the past practice here to not pay holidy pay to exempt staff in such a situation. My understanding is that we can dock for sick days only with a bona fide sick policy and for personal reason days, but I am unclear on company provided vacation days. There is some debate about this within the organization, and I cannot find any definitive statement addressing this in FLSA or California Labor Code.
Please respond...

Thank you.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Aside from the question of whether it would be legal to not pay those relativly new exempt employees for the Holiday, arn't you treating them rather shabbily?
    These are the people who are required to work as long as it takes to get the job done despite the fact that they may have less than 60 days tenure. It certainly would not make me have warm feelings about my employer and, if known beforehand, I might have passed them by in the job market.