Comp Time v. Overtime

I've run into a newbie boggler. I have an employee who was required to travel in-state but out-of-town one Sunday for a conference. Her drive time (12:30 p.m. - 5:45 p.m.) was 5 hours 15 minutes. Her attendance at and return from the Monday conference was 10 hours 30 minutes (8:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.). She is non-exempt. She is claiming overtime for her travel time, and has requested paid leave (combination vacation/sick) during the same pay period. Can the company electively charge the leave to her accrued comp time versus allowing her to use paid leave? Also, the hours and mileage don't match. She is claiming one hour 15 minutes more than the average travel time to this particular destination. Any suggestions?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It could take some time and additional information to untangle the various areas of concern involved here.

Because of similar "demands", and in the interest of limiting future perceptual disagreements, we now inform employees before they ever leave what will be considered allowable time and/or expenses.

Some employees and even some managers have a hard time being ojective. It's hard to argue with a clear and consistent policy/procedure. Even this may not solve every problem, but it sure beats reactive management.

• The way I understand things is that OT must be hours WORKED. If somebody has 48 hrs on their time sheet and 8 of the hours are vacation then they get 409 hrs pay and since the vacation was not needed to rach their 40 hours no vacation time is paid. I will pay a person the vacation if they need to use it or lose it and it was my fault that they worked the extra 8 hours. I called them in because I was short.