Garnishments

I have an employee who had a child support garnishment. This week I received an additional child support garnishment for this employee. I know that in LA you can take 50% of an employees wages for child garnishment, but don't I have to leave him 30 X min. wage ($154.50 weekly net)The amount to deduct exceeds this amount. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't get a lot of garnishments, but I understand there are limits for multiple claims. Not sure whether it's first come first serve, or if some are higher priority over others.
  • Does an employee have to receive $154.50 a week, or does a child support garmishment take precident? If anyone knows, please respond. Thanks!!
  • Cat,

I'm doing a little research on this, but haven't come across the 30 x minimum wage requirement yet. I'll contact our LA attorney and see if he knows anything about it.

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Here we go. Below is Mark's response:

Christy:

Both state and federal law interplay. The 30 times min. wage rule
    is a federal law (incorporated explicitly in the state statute), but it
    creates exceptions to the rule when the garnishment is for child support or
    spousal support. Thus, you look to state law for those answers. Below is
    an excerpt from our explanation to garnishment clients. The La. is 13:3881.

"When wages are garnished for spousal and child support, the
    withholding limits are different. If the garnishment is for child support,
    you should withhold up to 50% of the employee's disposable earnings,
    depending upon the actual amount set forth in the court's order. If the
    garnishment is for spousal support, you should withhold up to 40% of the
    disposable earnings, depending upon the actual amount set forth in the
    court's order. These deductions are not subject to any limitation by the
    minimum hourly wage provisions."

Hope this helps.

H. Mark Adams
    Attorney Editor
    Louisiana Employment Law Letter
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/laemp.shtml[/url]
  • Thank you so much for your help!!!
  • Mr. Adams, thanks so much for your reply. I looked up the statute, and the first sentence says ...but in no case shall exemption be less than an amount in disposable earnings which is equal to 30 times the fed. minimum hourly wage....
    I know it goes on to say child support is 50%, but the above sentence would not apply to this? I appreciate your help.
  • Cat,

I checked with Mark regarding your followup question. Here's his reply:

"As mentioned in the original reply, the 30 times min. wage limitation does NOT
    apply to child support. Child support withholdings may be up to 50% of
    disposable earnings, regardless of whether the employee is left with 30
    times the min. wage for a week."

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • As far as multiple garnishments (none for child support), do I have guidelines on compounded amounts or priority?? These could leave the employee without a check. Thanks..
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-27-01 AT 10:06AM (CST)[/font][p]OKLAHOMA EMPLOYMENT LAW LETTER, VOL 7, NO. 5 by Angela M. Knight, has all the answers, plus the potential penalties for withholding incorrect amounts from the employees wages. Check it out!
  • What about two child support garnishments, and then a bankruptcy garnishment following the two child supports? Would the 50% rule apply to the bankruptcy, and would you include in the 50% the child support as well as the garnishment? We live in Tennessee. Any information would be appreciated.