training wage and overtime

we need to know the correct ruling on training wage and overtime requirements when a employee works for us for his forty hours in a week and then attends a training class that is required.

Example: our security guard worked forty hours and then on a Saturday he was asked to take a first aid and cpr course that took 6 hours. Are we required to pay overtime or is training exempt from the overtime rule if he is paid his training wage which is $6.75?

Also, We have been paying a training wage of $6.75 per hour for new employees until their training is complete and then they are paid their regular hourly wage upon completion of the training. Is this okay?

Thanks,brian

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • From what I understand any hours "worked" over 40 is required to be paid a 1.5x. You are requiring this employee to attend the class so you owe OT.

I can't respond to your second question.
  • If authorizing training for your employee, you are obligated to pay 1.5 times his regular wage in overtime for all hours worked over 40 in the week.
    Regarding the second issue, I see no problems in paying a training wage to an employee and adjusting it upon satisfactory completion of the training.
  • You would be required to pay time and one half overtime pay for the required training day after the 40 hour work week (assuming that the employee is not otherwise exempt).

You may pay a lower wage during an initial period of employment. However, be sure to keep the rate of the "training wage" above the state and federal minimum wages (currently $6.25 in California and rising to $6.75 on 1/1/02).
    Traditionally, training wages (or opportunity wages) are subminimum wages allowed under federal and state law for employers and employees that meet special requirements. If you use training wages in this sense, you must ensure that you meet these special requirements under state and federal law.