holiday pay when workweek is 4 ten hr days

We are thinking of moving one dept. to a workweek of 4 ten hour days. My question is if a holiday falls on their regularly scheduled day off, be that Monday or Friday, is their holiday pay then considered OT? Or, should we just give them another day off? Otherwise, we would be paying them 50 hours when everyone else only got 40. If anyone has this schedule I would love to know how you manage this issue.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Within our organization (we span 11 western states plus AK & HI) we use a standard of one fifth of the employees normally scheduled workweek. In other words we only pay holidays based on a standard day which is considered an 8 hour day. This keeps the balance. It was discussed quite heavily, and it was thought that this method was more equitable. Those who work 10 hour days are receiving a benefit of sorts, in that they are granted more days off. I would suggest you consult your company's legal advisor about the issue and see if there are any conflicts with your personnel policies and/or company handbook. Hope this helps. Feel free to call me if you have any further questions. (509) 329-2732.

• Our paid holidays are 8 hours. For non-exempt emplyees on a 4/40 or other non-8 hour work day, we require that they use their own accrued time to balance out the rest of their work day, if the holiday falls on their work day. For exempt employees, we just cover all of their time as paid. If the paid holiday falls on a regular day off for both exempt and non-exempt, then it is accrued as 8 hours paid holiday time that can be taken off later