insurance committee

Has anyone had experience with insurance committees? I am basically wanting to know about guidelines, rules, procedures, etc for setting up and operating an insurance committee for a medical plan. The plan in question is ERISA qualified.

Nae

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-23-09 AT 06:04PM (CST)[/font][br][br]We have a "benefits committee;" but I am not sure that is comparable to your insurance committee. What is the purpose and function of your committee?

Our benefits committee is made up of representatives from our unions and unrepresented employees. It is chaired by HR staff (our Benefits Coordinator) and our insurance broker is an ex officio member of the committee. The committee researches benefits-related issues and makes recommendations as to what types and levels of benefits we should offer. Note, the committee only makes recommendations and does not have authority to set policy or committ us to a course of action. The advantages of the committee are that it has served to educate employees on issues related to offering a benefit package; and has paved the way for effective negotiations with the unions over benefits issues. Hope this helped. Sorry if this is not on point to what you were asking.
  • I am not actually sure about this committee's duties and expectations. My boss asked me about it, and I am sure it relates to a client and their question. I expect it is to determine benefits, and perhaps be the final appeal committee. I suspect it would be similar to your committee, but with more authority.

Do you have guidelines for your committee? Are they original, or did you base yours on someone else's?
  • The committee was up and running when I began working here; so I do not know the history of it. We do not have any formal guidelines or policies that address the committee. The committee is referenced in three of our four collective bargaining agreements as a body that will "provide input" prior to us making changes in benefits. However, it is also clear that the committee's input and recommendations are not binding.
  • Thanks for your input David.

Nae