Vacation Requests

Can someone share their Vacation Request Policy and Request Form? Do you require all employees to submit requests by a certain date and approve based on seniority and work load?

I have one employee that has already submitted a request to have vacation days along with every scheduled holiday. Example: Friday, July 5th.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What is your email address? We have staff submit annual vacation requests in December of the prior year. We also provide them with a form to do this on. I would be more than willing to share this will you.
  • I'm also willing to share ours.

We have the same problem with "holiday hogs", but departmental supervisors can restrict the number of holiday weeks an ee is approved for.

Anne in Ohio
  • Thanks for your response. Please check your inbox for my contact information.
  • Here's what I give new employees and I route it to all employees each January:

As you all know, we get a number of requests for time off around the time of paid holidays--particularly Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years ("The Biggies"). To the extent requests for time off around holidays, particularly The Biggies, are considered and approved, the highest consideration must be given to maintaining staffing levels so that scheduled PTO does not interfere with our ability to serve our clients. As a result, the number of time off requests around the holidays is necessarily limited and not all requests can be approved. In reality, only a small number of requests will be approved, particularly during the fourth quarter of the year.

It's always a struggle to consider the requests and feel comfortable that they are being handled in an equitable fashion. I already have requests for time off for time around 2004 holidays sitting on my desk. In the past just a smattering of the same people have requested time off around several (even all) holidays (“Holiday Hogs”). I have counseled the Holiday Hogs in the past and am happy to report that the Holiday Hog is an extinct creature in this office. In an attempt to put some equity in the process, I am sharing the following guidelines with you. Although these guidelines will generally be followed when considering requests for time off around various holidays, keep in mind that there may be exceptions. For example, if two secretaries who have been with the firm for a number of years and who both support attorneys in the same practice area request a week off at Christmastime, it may not be possible to approve both. And just think how the issue is compounded when a floater requests time off, too (yes, floaters get PTO, too). It boggles the mind. While I would like to grant everyone who requests time off the time they request, it simply isn’t possible. Keep in mind that my primary focus must be on maintaining the staffing levels necessary to effectively service our clients.

Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Year's (The Biggies)

Those PTO requests for The Biggies received before August 1 will be reviewed and PTO will be approved on a seniority basis. In considering the number of PTO requests that can be approved, consideration will be given to expected workloads and associated levels of necessary work coverage. As a result, all requests received before August 1 may not be approved. Requests received on or after August 1 will be handled on a case-by-case basis and those individuals with seniority cannot "bump" an individual with lesser seniority whose PTO has already been approved. Generally, PTO requests by one individual for two or more of The Biggies will not be approved substantially in advance of the holiday. Additionally, an individual who requested and for whom PTO was approved for a particular holiday in the immediately preceding year will be given consideration for PTO for that particular holiday in the current year only after the consideration of other PTO requests. Under no circumstances will a person who has exhausted all PTO be granted time off for The Biggies. If a person has previously received approved PTO for time around one of The Biggies but then exhausts all PTO before The Biggie arrives, that approval will rescinded.

Other Paid Holidays

Those PTO requests for other paid holidays which are received up to six weeks before the holiday will be reviewed in light of workloads and PTO will be approved generally on a seniority basis. Like the PTO approval described above, consideration will be given to expected workloads and associated levels of necessary work coverage in order that we continually have the staffing necessary to deliver quality, timely service to the clients. Generally, if an individual requesting PTO was granted PTO for the immediately preceding holiday or for that same holiday in the immediately preceding year, other PTO requests will be considered prior to giving that individual's most recent PTO request consideration. Requests for time off will not be considered when an individual’s PTO balance has been exhausted. If a person has previously received approved PTO for time around one of the paid holidays but then exhausts all PTO before the holiday arrives, that approval will be rescinded.

As you know, we may call upon staff members who are not fully occupied at a particular moment in time to provide assistance in areas outside their usual work assignment. This is particularly true during holiday periods when scheduled PTO may be a bit more intense than other times of the year. For that reason, overall office staffing is considered in approving holiday-related PTO requests and the final responsibility for coordinating and approving requests is mine and not that of any individual attorney. For that reason, a request received from an individual with the notation "no coverage necessary" must still be considered with all other requests. Basically, this emphasizes the philosophy that while we may work with certain attorneys, we work for the law firm.

PTO Approvals Generally

Please refer to the PTO section of the Staff Handbook if you have any questions about how the benefit works. And most certainly talk with me if you have any questions.

Managing your PTO account is like managing other accounts you may have. You have to keep an eye on the balance. Once the balance is exhausted, no additional requests for time off will be granted. And requests that have been previously approved are subject to cancellation if a PTO balance is exhausted prior to the scheduled time off.

If you have questions, comments or suggestions, my door is always open.

• Thanks so much for sharing. I guess every organization has Holiday Hogs.
  • The policy in our agency is that all vacation requests in conjunction with a holiday must be submitted 2 months in advance, i.e. if requesting July 5, then request must be submitted on May 4.(two months before July 4) The supervisor then has three days to approve or disapprove. If more than one person is submitting for the same day, seniority rules.
    Once approved, that employee can not be bumped at a later date by someone with more seniority.
    Vacation requests not in conjunction with a holiday are approved or disapproved at the discretion of the supervisor based on staffing and work load.
    Our employees have duplicate request slips, an original and a copy. They submit their request in duplicate. The supervisor approves or disapproves, keeps the original, and gives the copy back to the employee. This protects both the employee and the supervisor.