STD vs absence

Being in HR, we are constantly asked why something is covered under STD or not. We don't determine if someone is covered under STD. We rely on our carrier to do that.

We do have some concerns. If after reviewing all the medical records, and the STD carrier determines the employee could be covered for four weeks, and the employee is out for five weeks, what do you do? Or what if the carrier determines that the condition does not warrant the employee to be absent from work?

How do you handle these situations?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In the first case, the employee would have to furnish the carrier information from his/her doctor showing that the employee has a legitimate claim for that 5th week.

In the second case, there is no way that the carrier can determine whether the employee can work or not. THAT is up the doctor. Between you, the employee, and the doctor, hopefully the doctor will be knowledgable about the employee's job description. The carrier can only deny benefits if it deems that the employee is not sufficiently disabled.
  • I handle them seperately. When someone is absent I apply our attendance policy. Is it FMLA or an other approved leave? If it doesn't fit they are termed. I don't care about STD from an employment standpoint.

Being on STD does not excuse someone in our company from being absent. It is just an income safety net.