COBRA CONVERSION

It's been a long time since i have had to worry about COBRA. Now that my employee is reaching their 18 month limit (at month 15 now), our dental plan has no provision for conversion to individual coverage. does anyone have any idea of what my notice to the employee must contain? Do I simply advise them their 18 months are up and thank you very much???? I'd appreciate any samples letters!

thanks
nancy

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • nancy,

Start out by making a call to your healthcare insurance provider. Find out exactly what they offer in the form of conversion coverage (monthly cost, types of plans/coverage, etc.) before you sit down to write your letter. Technically, your obligations are just about over at the conclusion of COBRA. I'm not sure about your situation, but even though we act as our own administrator, once notified, our carrier took over for us at that point. -- Give em a call.

geno
  • thanks geno!
    unfortunately i did call the carrier - that's when they advised there were no conversion options. i just wasn't sure of what to say to in my letter to the cobra participant...e.g. sorry your coverage ends on such and such date and there are no conversion options?????

thanks, again!
  • Nancy,
    I'm not an expert but I know that you have to send them a HIPAA certificate of insurance for their COBRA coverage. I send it a couple of weeks before ending date with a short letter stating their COBRA coverage will terminate on (date) and enclosed they will find their Certificate of insurance. If they have any questions they can contact me at (phone #).
    You may want to try this.