Holiday Pay

Our company offers flexible start and end times to each work day, as long as the employee works 7.5 hours. If the office closes from Noon to 5pm for a holia - taking into consideration one hour for lunch - technically the office is closed for four hours. I believe we should require 3.5 hours of vacation leave if an employee takes the entire day off, for a total of 7.5 hours - regardless of their start/end time (for holidays only).

I treat office closings due to weather, etc. differently. If the office doesn't open until 9am and employee normally starts at 8:30 am for example, but doesn't arrive until 9:30, I require a half an hour of leave time.

What do you require? Thank you.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added

• I believe we should require 3.5
    >hours of vacation leave if an employee takes the
    >entire day off, for a total of 7.5 hours -
    >regardless of their start/end time (for holidays
    >only).
    >
    Fortunately we do not have to deal with partial days. We close for 9 Holidays and provide Holiday Pay for all EEs that qualify (have completed the 90 day probationary, introductory, orientationary, make it or get out or whatever you want to call it period.)

Maybe there are some companies that do but I have never worked anywhere that I was required to use vacation time for a Holiday.

• We also have flex start and end times as long as a person works a 7.5 hour day. If we closed for 1/2 day or 4 hours then yes anyone who took off the whole day would have to use PTO hours for the other 3.5 hours.