What would you do re: terming emp wanting STD?

This came up as a hypothetical because we're about to make an offer to someone who is in a similar, but not not identical, posiiton.

If an employee came to you and said "I'm about to give notice to terminate but I need to go out on disabilty to have some necessary surgery, can I?" what would you do?

Gosh, as i write this it seems like a no-brainer, but part of me would want to be sympathetic and let the employee do it on the grounds that (1) at least the employee is being honest and (2) what other choice do they have if a job offer came in AND their health problem surfaced quickly? Yes, I know, there is a possibility of manipulation going on, but I'd probably approve also based on the fact that this is unlikely to repeat itself in my 150-employee company.

What would you do?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Once you have been burdened with the knowledge of intent to terminate, you must utilize that information in your decision. Of course, all of the claims your group experiences go into the economics of your future rates. Even if unlikely to repeat itself, your group bears the cost which could contribute to increased rates for the company and/or the employees depending on the nature of your benefit package.

I suppose the timing of the expected termination could factor in, but in my experience, you generally get minimal notice. Finally, the employee could turn in the claim and wait to terminate after they came off, but that might interfere with their new job plans.