Easy Cobra Question

An employee was terminated and went on family cobra. Now, four months later, he would like to cancel his cobra. He sent me a letter, no problem.
However, am I now required to send a notice to his spouse/dependants to see if she would like to remain on cobra? Does she have that option? The only thing I can find that is clear is when the employee enrolls in medicare.

He probably just has insurance through another job but I would like to make sure I don't miss anything. As you can tell, I don't have to deal cobra very often.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-05-03 AT 10:16AM (CST)[/font][p]Since 27 of us have read your question and no one has answered I'm guess that this isn't such an easy question afterall! Most of the time I don't get "notice" that an ee is giving up COBRA. They just don't send in their check and then I mail them the notice that it will be discontinued. So to cover the bases since the ee has apparently telephoned you with his notice I would mail the letter also. oops i see that he did write you. I would confirm the cancellation in writing to the last known address of the ee and his dependents.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-05-03 AT 11:41AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-05-03 AT 11:38 AM (CST)[/font]

Finally got a reply back from our insurance company. They say that the note is good enough for them to cancel. No other notices need to be sent - sez the person I talked to - unlike when the employee elects single coverage over their family. I was getting nervous that I had dug up more paperwork. I will confirm it as you have said I should.

Thanks for the replies. We now only have 3 people on cobra, I've always requested a letter when they wish to cancel. I'm not sure how accounting has it set up. Maybe they think we'll just keep on billing them if they don't officially cancel. Not a bad fear.
  • That may be their requirements, but be careful to meet the federal requirements by notifying ALL dependents esp. in a case where there is a separation.