Baylor Plan Benefits

We recently structured a Nursing Supervisor Weekend Position to work 2-12 hour shifts, receive pay for 36 hours, and receive benefits. We have offered the same coverage under our group insurance benefits that we offer to full time staff. There is a concern about how much time off benefits to provide. If you have expereince with this type of flex position, please advise what you provide in vacation, sick, holiday and/or personal time. Thank you.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Whew! That's a tuff one. Been there!

Essentially, you have someone working 24 hours and recieving pay at time-and-a-half. The EE is entitled to benefits because they are being paid for 36 hours, but is only working on weekends.

I think it depends on your recruitment strategy. If this is a hard-to-fill position, then you might offer something like:

- two weekends off with pay (at 24 hours)
    - holiday pay if the holiday falls on the weekend.

In this state (Maryland)it probably wouldn't be a hard position to fill with those options. It's attractive enough they way you have it set up.

"Sam"

• Sam,
    Thanks for your insight- and if I look at it as what will keep someone here, then the answer it much easier. Believe it or not- we opened up two RN Supervisor Positions and have been able to fill only one of them. And we extended benefits because otherwise we would not have filled the one. Again, I appreciate your time to respond.
    Laura
  • How does your health plan read? What number of hours are required for the ee to work to be eligible for benefits? I would want to be sure that they meet any requirements set by your insurance underwriting. (Of course you can put in for a change with underwriting.)