COBRA - Previous Provider

I have a situation I am just not sure, what my responsibilities are to this employee:

A private college has recently hired an employee, this college is religious based yet they do not offer missionary and ministry insurance (which from what I heard is pretty good). So the new employer agrees to let him keep the Miss&Minis. and will pay the premiums. I am new to HR and to COBRA and don't really know how this type of situation would work.

Are we (ER) required to send all Cobra notices as if we were providing this insurance? x:-/

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't understand. Are you the new employer or the old employer? If I am understanding you correctly, the new employer is agreeing to pay the COBRA premiums for the new employee as part of the employment contract. Right?

The old employer (you?) should handle the COBRA issue the same, regardless of who is actually paying the premium. That is, letters, etc. go to their ex-employee. It is the employee's responsibility to make sure the new employer actually pays the premiums in a timely manner.

If this is not a COBRA situation, but rather the employee has been carrying his or her own private insurance, then the employee still needs to make sure the new employer pays the premiums in a timely manner.

Hope I answered you question and helped a little. If not, please clarify your question.

Good luck!
  • I am sorry I am the new er. Thank you it helped tremendously :)
  • You do have the responsibility to provide the departed employee with appropriate COBRA notifications--what he/she does as part of their new employment arrangement has no bearing on what you must do.