Vacation accrual during leave of absence

I am looking for information on whether or not we are required to continue an associate's accrual for vacation and sick leave while an associate is on a FMLA leave of absence and also workers'compensation leave.
I would be interested in hearing what other companies are doing.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-07-03 AT 10:01AM (CST)[/font][p]The FMLA regulations do not require you to do either. Company policy dictates in both instances. Whatever your policy states that you will do in the case of non-FMLA situations is all you must do in the case of FMLA, no less, no more. Caution: If I'm absent for an extended trip of 3 months and you allow my vacation and sick leave to continue to accrue, as if I were not gone; then, if I take FMLA and you treat me differently and do not allow it to continue, you have violated the law.

edit - Comp laws are all state laws and I'm sure the same applies. You would not be wise to carve out negative exceptions for people on FMLA or Comp.
  • We are a non-profit. We accrue leave while an employee is on paid leave. Once the leave becomes unpaid, they no longer accrue vacation or sick leave.
  • We too are a non-profit and our agency does the same as Judy's company. I also agree with DonD.
  • We do not require that they use PTO, but we allow employees to elect 8 hours of PTO per week off for leave. If they elect to do that, the employee will continue to accrue PTO thru out.

We have a lot of long term employees that accrue close to a rate of 16 hours per payroll(bi-weekly), so often it evens out. In addition, if they elect to use the 8 hours, they can continue to pay their insurance deductions while on leave. Employees like doing that instead of getting hit hard with doubled deductions!

Good luck!
    K