Suplemental Insurance

I want to offer my employees suplemental insurance and the name that comes to my mind is AFLAC. Can anyone offer me your experience in dealings with AFLAC? I heard from some local H.R. Managers that the service is bad and that it is taking a lot of time from them. Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We put in AFLAC in May. It still too early to determine service. But the Sales Consultant/Rep has called me twice a month, every month since then. He wants to know if there are any new hires. If there are, he has a meeting with them to explain the insurances that are available, and then another trip back to see if they had any questions and to sign up the intertested employees. If they are not intrested he then has them sign a waiver. I too, find it time comsuming, rounding them up etc. I also have received comments from them about the "hard sell". I've asked him to arrange quarterly meetings for new hires but he says because this is part of our Section 125, he needs to offer the insurance ASAP.

• This may be a little long and more than what your looking for but here is my in put on Aflac. x0:)

We offer Aflac insurance and have for the 10 years that I have been here.

I really don't have any problem with my rep. x:-) we get along very well and he sends me an email or quick phone call to ask if there is any new employees for this month and I send him a list of who if any there are and where they work.

He then sends a letter addressed to that employee to me here and I pass it along to them. The letter is a quick introduction of Aflac and says that if your interested to sign the bottom and return to HR.

If and when I get them I fax them to my rep. or send him an email stating that I have had no replies. He only meets with the employees who had said that they want to talk to him.

Also once a year he will make a special notice to put in all payroll checks in case someone who wasn't interested is now, they just send the notification back to me and I pass it on to him.

Works good for me and the employees like it this way.
  • AFLAC service is outstanding and I have not had a single bad experience in three years.
  • Thank you very much for all your input. I helps a lot!
  • Just a quick note. We put Aflac in at a large medical center that I worked with. The Aflac agents quarreled among themselves, tried to get me involved, gave employees the hard sell and made them feel guilty if they didn't cover their families and one agent went around me to my assistant to get her to introduce him to "available female employees".

We terminated our relationship with them.

On the other hand, I have a friend who sells Aflac and she is very laid back and only offers products that she feels will benefit someone. So, there are probably good ones and not-so-good ones.

• Thank you. I'll be carefull checking the AFLAC agent.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-12-02 AT 02:34PM (CST)[/font][p]We offer Aflac's cancer and specified disease coverage through our benefits insurance agency. I have had calls from independent Aflac agents and I tell them very politely that I am satisfied with my regular agent. He leaves me alone but processes any apps I submit. As for Aflac, I love the coverage. They have always processed the claims quickly and efficiently.
  • We also use AFLAC in some of our accounts. They tend to pay claims very quickly, but it is EXTREMELY difficult to get through to the home office and when you finally do, you will get a different answer each time you call. We also use Colonial. Their products are very similar to AFLAC's and offer you a benefit statement.

You can set up your plan so that people can only sign up at open enrollment. Therefore new hires can only enroll at open enrollment.