HEALTH BENEFITS

I have a non-union employee who has chosen not to accept the health plan offer by the company. Instead, this employee's health benefits are covered under her husband's health plan who is a union member.

Recently, the non-union employee has been informed repeadtly to apply for health benefits through her employer as opposed to the benefits she had currently received under her husband's plan who is a union member.

Does the union (1199) have the right to request my employee to accept health benefits under their employeer, when she can be covered under the health benefits of her spouse.

please respond, including citations and New York State codes to [email]clearviewnh@aol.com[/email]

Thank you

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-08-02 AT 04:50PM (CST) by jrobb (admin)[/font][p]I'd like to give you some input into the situation, but I am not sure I understand the facts. Your company employs a female non-union employee who is covered under her husband's insurance plan. Who employees the husband? Your company or someone else? Who is repeatedly telling the employee that she needs to be covered under her husband's plan? The union? Her husband's union? Has the employee presented any documentation to you regarding this situation?

• Thanks for responding to my questions. Let me try to clarify.

I have a non-union employee who has forfieted the company's health benefit because her health benefits are covered under the spouse. Due to this employee not accepting benefits at her place of employment, a stipend is paid to her quarterly.

The spouse is a union employee and has always covered his family under his health benefits.

Now the non-union employee is receiving telephone calls from her husband's union stating that she will no longer be covered under his health plan because health benefits are available at her place of employemen.

Can a union rep. pressure or force my employee to accept health benefit plans from her employer?

Please replay [email]clearviewnh@aol.com[/email]

• >[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-08-02 AT
    >04:50 PM (CST) by jrobb (admin)[/font]
    >
    >I'd like to give you some input into the situation, but I am not sure
    >I understand the facts. Your company employs a female non-union
    >employee who is covered under her husband's insurance plan. Who
    >employees the husband? Your company or someone else? Who is repeatedly
    >telling the employee that she needs to be covered under her husband's
    >plan? The union? Her husband's union? Has the employee presented any
    >documentation to you regarding this situation?

• The Husband is not employed by me.