Sick Time/STD for Laser or Cosmetic Surgery

What is accepted practice for granting sick time and/or short-term disability for medical procedures such as laser surgery for eyes or cosmetic surgery that is strictly voluntary and not part of a reconstructive process resulting from illness or injury?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We grant sick time for this on exactly the same basis as any other elective procedure.........for that period of time the MD deems medically unable to work. I'm seeing 1-3 days (per eye) of medical incapacitation.
  • As long as the employee has adequate PTO time available, requesting time off for elective surgery is basically the same as requesting time for a traditional vacation. We try to accommodate personal schedules, but occasionally have to request the employee postpone for extreme legitimate business needs.

Never will forget the time I was harrassed about taking a day off after my pet's surgery. The surgery date was arranged around business responsibilities, and the one day off gave me a long weekend to make sure the pet was safely on the road to recovery. It really shouldn't matter why I requested a day off, especially since I was in a position of "use it or lose it" on my PTO accrual!!