"Sunset" Provision On Mental Health Parity Act

The Mental Health Paritiy Act passed back in 1996 had a "sunset" provison that it would cease to be in effect for benefits offered after September 30, 2001. Has anyone heard if that provision has been stripped out, renewed, etc.?

It will be interesting to see what happens on this subject yet this year.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I do not think that sunset provision has been extended or removed. However, two bills pending in Congress would effectively do so, and in fact expand the scope of the mental health parity provisions to eliminate any differences in cost or other limitations between mental health and other benefits provided under a health plan. Check out HR 162 and S 543 at [url]www.thomas.loc.gov[/url]. It will be interesting.

• Scott,

Are you sure about that URL? I could not get it to come up. I will try again later today, as they may be having problems with a server. One other thing that I did not mention, there are always state laws to contend with if the overarching federal law goes away.

Thanks for the help.

Lewis Paul
  • The URL is not working for me either just now. It is what is shown in my bookmarks. Let me know if it doesn't work later.

Interesting issue about the state laws. Any such laws may very well be preempted by ERISA.