Employee Suggestion Scheme

We're exploring the idea of having an employee's suggestion scheme. The initial intent was to get employees more involved in the process of problem solving. With the 250 something people we have in this organization and employees being close to the processes, we could get many great ideas for improvement.

However, I've two major concerns:
1. The fear that this suggestion scheme replaces the communication between employees and their managers. Employees are encouraged to speak with their managers/supervisors when they encounter any problems or have an idea to work things better in the dept. This suggestion scheme (with an incentive for participation) may provide an avenue for the employee to pick up the pen to write, instead of communcating with his/her supervisor.

2. The time it takes to process an idea can be quite a task. Recognizing that the response to the employee's idea should be prompt and timely to sustain enthusiasm and show the employee we mean business, what was put in place in yoru organization to keep this suggestions scheme's particpation rate high? Do you have a separate team of staff managing this suggestion scheme or do you have the duties of running this scheme added to existing employees who are simultaneously taking care of other duties.

Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts and ideas. Could you please also share with me the participation rate of your employee suggestion scheme and who started it, how was the initial response, how did you reward the suggestions, and how far it went since you first started it. What are your future plans for this scheme?

Looking forward to your responses. Many thanks.