FMLA Serious Health Condition Guidance Needed

Morning Forumers:

I am new when it comes to dealing with FMLA and a serious health condition and would appreciate any help or guidance anyone is willing to offer.

The background; I have an employee located in another offer who has only been to work for 2 days out of the last 2 weeks due to going to doctors for tests and what not. This has not been the first time when their absenses have been brought to my attention but in the past they would take off two days and then come back to work so according to the definition it was not a consecutive 3 days with doctors care so we did not designate it. Now I am asked what we can do with this employee because their attendance is lacking. The employee has said that when they are off they are going for tests, they arent really sure what the illness is.

I want to make sure all my ducks are in that row, before I tell management what should be done. Would they now be designated with a serious health condition and need FMLA protection and his 12 weeks unpaid leave to get done whatever needs done? Do I have the employee take the certification information to their doctor to be filled out so I know that it is a serious health condition and that it will be limiting them to work? If it not a serious health condition can we do what is necessary to assure they work normal and not be taking off with unpaid leave?

Thank you again for any information anyone can provide!

Comments