Med. Cert. problems

Parent has Parkinson's and needs son to take him to appointments. Son was given Med. Cert. to complete. VA Hospital has had cert. for over 2 weeks. Would you give him extra time to get the Med. Cert.?

If he is NOT given extra time and FMLA is turned down for that reason.......can he apply for FMLA again like in the next week when he actually has the certification in his hand?

Our office would give him extra time to get the certification in, BUT I don't think his employer will. Are there any rules where the employer HAS to extend the time?

Thanks!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-30-08 AT 08:10AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Unless you plan to give everyone extensions, I would withhold approval of FMLA if there is no certification produced after the 15 days granted by law. If he brings paperwork in the future, the FMLA can start from that point, not retroactive to when the process began.
  • We usually give the employee an additional seven days when the certification froms are sitting at the doctor's office. If the employee said he just hasn't gotten around to giving the forms to the doctor, we would not provide extra time.
  • We would also give the employee a little extra time due to the circumstances. Just remember you need be clear about when and when you won't give an extension to keep yourself safe from discrimination charges.

I assume you told the employee in writing how much time he has. He should show the letter to the VA. If you decide to give him an extension, make sure it is in writing so he can present it to the people at the VA. Sometimes seeing it in writing will get a hospital or clinic employee to personally follow up for you.

Good luck!

Nae
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-30-08 AT 10:12AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I always give an extra seven days for the employee to return the certification. The extension is provided in writing and mailed certified mail, return recepit requested.
  • Given it is the VA and government, I would probably give him a month. .x:D