First Time for everything with FMLA

I have handled lots of FMLA's for medical reasons and processed the paperwork for them. I have never processed a leave for an adoption and was wondering if anyone has a special form they use or is there a special form for completion and does the attorneys complete this form, or is it completed by the judge who handles the adoption or maybe the adoption case worker.

I also have a request for one for an EE who is getting guardianship of a child. Would all the same apply to them as well.

Been here 8 years and these are my first 2 requests. I would really appreciate any input from my fellow formites.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We would just require proof of the legal process, pretty much the same as if you were going to put the new family members on insurance. In adoption cases, the judge often grants time with the children before the adoption is finalized. This judgement, like other legal judgements, is in writing. That is the only proof we would require.

Keep in mind that you are looking at bonding time, the same as when a mom has a newborn. You don't get a doctor's note for that, and you don't need one for this. Just legal proof that the parents are adopting. Same for guardianship. You just need a copy of the judgement.

Good luck!

Nae
  • Thanks Nae Nae.....

I will tell them this and approve the leave for the time they requested. It isn't a long time, but only for time to get documents in order for the name, Birth Certificate, School transfers of transcripts and a new SSCard all of which were resonable requests to me. I just didn't want to overlook a form if there was one to be completed.