Intermittent FMLA for Routine Doctor's Appointments

We have an employee whose husband is having some health problems. She wants to attend all of his "routine" doctor's visits with him...not for procedures that might require her assistance, but just to listen to what the doctor tells him.

These appointments are actually in our office (we are a cardiology practice). The other day, she sat in the waiting room until he finished seeing the physician. Her supervisor questioned why she couldn't sit at her desk and continue to work just as well until her spouse finished his appointment and then he could call her down to the doctor's office.

Have any of you faced this issue and how did you handle it? I say if the physician signs off on it that she is needed for "support", there is little we can do about it.

This intermittent stuff is for the birds. I have had more trouble with abuse on this than any other issue in the workplace. Most of the abuse is because people call off stating it is FMLA for a family member when it is really the fact they don't want to come to work that particular day.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Rockie: Sorry I can't answer your question but I can relate to your pain with intermittent FMLA. I have the same issues with our employees. As long as the doctor certifies the condition the employee seems to automatically think they can call off for any reason and state FMLA.

Yes, it is for the birds and is the worst thing I have to deal with as an HR person. Unfortunately I think we're stuck with this entitlement and it will only get worse for us. Good luck.
  • Personally, if the doctor (who works for you!) signs off on her need for this FMLA - whether or not he works for your practice, I would absolutely just allow it. Telling her that she needs to work while he's in with the physician or waiting for the physician could be seen as interfering with her FMLA rights.

I detest intermittent - if you need off, be off - if not work! However, we have had employees u0ndergo chemo/radiation and work intermittently - and it has worked very well.