Foot Surgery

To All: This is my first post and would like to say thanks to all who devote time to giving advice in this thread. It has helped me many times in the past. Now on to my question.

I have an ee who is scheduled for some sort of foot surgery. The ee is requesting FML for the time off as a result of the procedure. Total time should be roughly two weeks to include the procedure and recovery time. The ee has been given the request for medical certification. My feeling is that a medical condition requiring surgery should quailfy for FML. Have I at least gotten off on the right foot with this??? (No pun intended)

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes. As long as other FMLA qualifications are met (50 EEs, one year, 1250 hours, etc), then the first thing to do is provide the paperwork. I hope you also gave the EE a specific time limit for return of documention, and that it was in writing. If so, all you can do is wait for the paperwork to come in. Once it is returned you can designate as FMLA.

If you forgot to give the 'in writing' part, I suggest you do a follow up letter ASAP outlining your conversation with EE and your requirements.

Good luck!

Nae
  • Thanks Nae. The EE was provided with notice in writing. We barely make the minimum requirements for FMLA. Somehow I seem to be getting most of these types of issues relating to the Act. It's very helpful to have input from others like yourself to help me along as I try to navigate my way through this. Again, thanks for your response!!!

JMH