Former Employees Who Return and Now Need to Use FMLA Time

I need some help. I seem to recall that recently there was information about former employees who returned and now needed FMLA time. Since the employee in question is a union employee I have asked our payroll department to let me know if they bridged his time when he returned last March 11. Don't we have to count the time that he worked previously? If not, then this employee would not be able to use FMLA time. Your thoughts, as always, will be very helpful.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There are 2 issues here. One is the initial time required and is a one-time requirement. An employee must have worked for your company for at least 1 year, which includes previous employment with you. If he worked 8 months for you 2 years ago he will meet the one year requirement 4 months after rehire. If he worked for you 2 years and left for one year, he has already met this requirement.

The other issue is time worked. The employee must have worked 1250 hours in the last year. This does not include holiday, sick or vacation. It is actual worked time. If he came back March 11th he has probably met this requirement, but you will need to calculate it to know for sure.

Good luck!

Nae
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-23-08 AT 02:48PM (CST)[/font][br][br]To be eligible for FMLA, the employee must have worked for you for at least 12 months. This can be a cumulative total. And must have worked at least 1250 hours in the past 12 months.